“He’s a man of relatively few words but that’s fine when your wines have much to say.”
-Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate on Philippe Colin
Overview of the Wine
Philippe Colin has set himself up in modern premises in the industrial zone of Chassagne Montrachet with his share of the Colin-Deleger vineyards, which he has supplemented by some négociant cuvées. The label reflects a new-generation approach to his attractive wines. The Philippe Colin style is for elegance and subtlety rather than weight and power.
Philippe’s father, Michel Colin-Deléger’s lineage traces back on both sides of the family to the 1850s when their ancestors settled in the area. He inherited vineyards from both the Colins and his father-in-law, Georges Deléger.
• He founded Domaine Michel Colin-Deléger in 1987.
• Philippe joined his father in 1988 after studying viticulture, his brother, Bruno, coming aboard a few years later where they all worked together for 16 years.
• In 2004 when Michel retired the estate was split into three parcels (Michel kept 3 parcels for himself) with Philippe and Bruno breaking off into two separate domains in order to respect their different approaches to winemaking.
Philippe upholds the philosophy of respecting the vineyards, intervening as little as possible to allow the purest expression of terroir to shine through, as each plot is markedly different.
• Vines are farmed sustainably, following la lutte raisonnée (the practice of using less chemicals, less often, less aggressively than conventional growers), with rigorous plowing and minimal use of chemical sprays.
• Grapes are hand harvested and the wines are aged in French oak barrels (25% new, combination of 228L, 450L and 500L).
• Each of Philippe’s premier crus is a singularly unique expression of terroir, and are all distinct from one another
Grape / Blend
From St Aubin and Chassagne, this has density and ripe fruit. There’s a slight oyster shell note, and good density. Simply delicious.
Product size: 750ml